Friday, April 01, 2005

Fred at the Vic On The Park . . .

Just a quick note to say if you are undecided about going to the Bridge tonight to see Fred Eaglesmith and the Flying Squirrels, do yourself a favour and get on down there. Too late to write - gotta get some shut-eye for the second big night tonight. Full details later. Here's most of what we heard:

Bill's set - (I arrived a bit late and missed the first couple of songs):

I Drink (Gauthier)
Ain't Your F'n Town No More (Chambers)
Can't remember If We Said Goodbye (Earle)
Big River (Cash)
Don't Think Twice (Dylan)
Colder Than The Winter (?) Chambers (New)
Old Cowboy Songs (Arlo Guthrie)
Last Thing I Expected (Chambers)
Poison Blood (Worm/Chambers) *

* Song by Kasey's roadie and Bill.

Fred & the Flying Squirrels:

I Ain't Ever Givin' In
Rev It Up
Spookin' The Horses
Time To Get A Gun
(Kangaroo and seal story - first encounter with hecklers)
Sharecroppin'
Georgia Overdrive
Crowds
(Record company spiel)
A Place To land (?New)
Wilder Than Her
Harold Wilson
Sand In The Gears (?)
(Missed one song)
Sister Cried (?)
49 Tons (String break - band intro while Willie changes string)

Encore - Fred Solo

Evelynne (?)
Amaretta spiel
Drive-In Movie

Sorry for all the question marks - there were a few I hadn't heard before and others while I was distracted and didn't quite catch.

Saturday: A completely different show from Fred and the Squirrels at the Bridge last night and I'll being getting it all down in a day or so.

I know I promised to do a big round-up today but these bloody Canadians keep on coming! The Laws (a Canadian couple and damn fine singer/songwriters) are doing their final Sydney gig tonight so I'll have to brush up and get on over. In the unlikely event that either of you read this (I only found out about the gig an hour or so ago) before 8pm, they're on at the Rozelle Community Centre, Darling Street, Rozelle. It's a sit-at-table, non-smoking and BYO gig so it suits those who like to breath fresh air and eat their seafood dinners available from the excellent seafood cafe next door. I saw The Laws at Tamworth a couple of years back and, apart from many great songs in their set, they did a stunning version of Greg Brown's The Train Carrying Jimmie Rodgers Home. Watch this space for the promised reviews.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?